State commits funds to Dedham Street improvements

By

For the first time in several months, selectmen have tangible evidence that new Governor Charlie Baker and the state Department of Transportation are ready to commit money to the Dedham Street corridor improvements.

The list of improvements — many of which were added at the urging of Canton officials, notably selectmen Victor Del Vecchio and Bob Burr — includes the construction of an off-ramp from I-95 northbound; bridge widening, and improvements to the Shawmut Road intersection.

Both Del Vecchio and Burr had urged residents to write letters to members of the Baker administration to stress the importance of the Dedham Street improvements. Del Vecchio announced Tuesday night that state Representative Bill Galvin, who was instrumental in voicing the town’s wishes for the project, finally received a letter of support from Transportation Secretary Stephanie Pollack.

“This is a promising first step. It is a pathway to more funding,” said Del Vecchio, who noted that Pollack committed $4 million for this year and a commitment to work with the federal government to find money for three construction seasons. The state hopes to advertise the project for construction in September. Del Vecchio said selectmen appreciated the letters of support from residents and the action of Galvin.

In other traffic news, selectmen Kevin Feeney and Mark Porter urged more residents, particularly from precincts 3, 4 and 6, to apply for the new Blue Ribbon Traffic Committee. The purpose of the committee is to proactively identify traffic issues and present solutions to the Traffic Study Committee. So far, selectmen have received interest from Peter Pineo (Precinct 4), Armin Azar (Precinct 5), Kathy McCormick (Precinct 3), Gary Ronan (Precinct 2), John Blundo (Precinct 5), James Fitzpatrick (Precinct 1), and Kristen Merenda (Precinct 2).

Feeney said applicants should have good communication skills and include a letter of recommendation along with their letter of interest to selectmen. Feeney and Porter will also serve on the board along with Town Planner Tim Richards. The board will be formally established at the July 28 selectmen’s meeting. In related news, Town Administrator Bill Friel said the public hearing on proposed traffic-calming measures for the Wentworth Road area will be held Wednesday, July 29, at 3:30 p.m. in the Salah Meeting Room …

See this week’s Canton Citizen to read more highlights from the July 14 selectmen’s meeting, including appointments to the Paul Revere Heritage Commission, an update on a proposed ice rink, and more. Click here to order your subscription today.

Share This Post

Short URL: http://www.thecantoncitizen.com/?p=30164

avatar Posted by on Jul 17 2015. Filed under News, Town Government. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Canton Citizen Absolute Landscaping

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google
Log in | Copyright Canton Citizen 2011