News Notes: Man charged for leaving dogs in car


A Brookline man will be summoned to court to face animal cruelty charges after he was twice reported for leaving his dogs locked in a car in sub-freezing temperatures on Sunday, January 7. Deputy Police Chief Helena Rafferty said residents called police when they spotted the dogs locked in the car at the library and Town Hall. After the second call, police turned the dogs over to the town’s animal control unit, which brought them to Tufts Medical Center for evaluation. The dogs’ owner, Matthew Amory, 48, faces two counts of cruelty to animals.

Firefighters respond to elevated CO calls

The Canton Fire Department responded to three instances of elevated carbon monoxide levels inside residences last week. Firefighters ventilated all three homes, which were located on Short Street, Indian Woods Way, and Neponset Street.

Firefighters also assisted the Milton Fire Department in responding to a fire inside a maintenance building at Curry College on Tuesday, January 2, around 12:15 p.m. Canton firefighters assisted with extinguishment and overhaul operations. No injuries were reported.

Town digs out from Jan. 4 blizzard

The first big winter storm of 2018 arrived with a bang last Thursday, dumping nearly a foot and a half of snow on the Canton area and leading to the closure of schools and town offices.

Plows were out on the roads beginning around 9 a.m. on Thursday and private contractors went home at 3 a.m. on Friday, January 5. Schools remained closed and DPW employees continued with snow removal operations throughout most of the daytime on Friday. DPW Superintendent Mike Trotta reported that all three sidewalk plows were damaged, but one was repaired by Friday and the others were operational by early this week. DPW crews were working at the beginning of this week on clearing snow in the downtown area. Trotta speculated that the storm will cost the town approximately $35,000. The town budgeted $600,500 for snow removal in FY18, and of that figure, approximately $170,000 had been spent prior to last week’s storm.

The Fire Department responded to 20 calls for service within the 24 hours of the storm, including fire-related, emergency medical, and hazardous materials calls. No serious accidents were reported and most vehicles remained off the roads during the peak of the storm between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.

Share This Post

Short URL:

avatar Posted by on Jan 12 2018. Filed under News, Police & Fire. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Canton Citizen Absolute Landscaping

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google
Log in | Copyright Canton Citizen 2011