Chapman St. fire deemed accidental, electricalBy Mike Berger
Fire Chief Charlie Doody said a second-alarm fire at 208 Chapman Street last Tuesday night, August 28, was determined to be accidental and caused by damaged electrical wiring.
Doody said the fire began in a basement electrical room at around 9 p.m. and extended through the walls to the first floor kitchen. Engine 6 and Ladder 1 were first on the scene, and Captain Wendell Robery and firefighter John Buckley advanced a hose line to the basement and attacked the fire. They were assisted by the Ladder 1 crew of firefighters Chris Hiltz and Jason Coleman. At the same time, the Engine 2 crew of Captain William Morgan and firefighter Brian Gately advanced a hose line to the first floor kitchen and stopped the spread of the fire.
Both occupants of the home safely evacuated and called 911 when they saw smoke. There were no injuries reported and the incident lasted nearly three hours.
Fi r e f ight e r s f rom Sha ron, Stoughton, and Norwood assisted in the operations, and Randolph and Westwood provided station coverage.
“This very large single-family home was saved by the quick and efficient actions of the initial fire companies,” said Chief Doody. “They limited the fire damage to the basement electrical room and first floor kitchen. There was, however, additional smoke and water damage to other parts of the home. The occupants have been displaced until repairs can be made.”
Building Inspector Ed Walsh said a restoration company is removing soot, but repairs to the structure, as well as to the wiring and plumbing, are necessary before the family can return to their home.
Short URL: http://www.thecantoncitizen.com/?p=15992